Monday, December 15, 2008

BMW 650 CS

Licencing woes saw me back at Bike School. The day was uninteresting except for getting to ride a random bike of a mid-range nature and seeing what a good pick my SV650S was. I won't say I knew it all and I won't say that the practice wasn't good for me. I will say that the instructor said I was the most skilled girl of my level he'd seen and that during my road ride he only had one comment to make - which was that I put my foot out too soon when I was pulling up and that I should only put it down at the last minute. Fair call, I'd say and I've been practicing not doing that.


It was interesting to note the different setup on the BMW650CS though. The bike was built low and the front forks were out like a trailie. The gears were weird and the only time I saw any semblance of its engine size was when I thrashed the daylights out of it in 3rd gear and got from 50kph to 80kph in a few seconds. Otherwise, she felt gutless and clunky. Especially weird was how the gear pedal would keep going down even when you were in 1st gear. My ZZR and SV always stop when you get to 1st gear and I guess I thought that's how all bikes behaved. Imagine my surprise when I tried to get back to 1st suddenly, only to be unable to find the bottom of the gearbox. The centre of gravity was low and the steering light so figure 8's were a breeze (despite being made to go first with everyone watching - apparently, this 'lady friend' can still turn it on a dime.)

I can understand why they were picked for the riding school because they were forgiving and built low. There is power there but it's hard to find and certainly doesn't surprise you when it arrives. Their brakes are good and I scared myself a couple of times with careless front brake grabs but the bike forgave me more than it should have. The back brake held the bike back well while slow cornering in non-chugging revs and 2nd gear.

Their balance was good and I managed to complete the 12second minimum slow ride (have no idea how far the distance was - 10 metres?) the first time round without horrendous wobbles. Again, the steering was light and the bike easy to push around so when it came time for the 30kph emergency counter-steer my only problem was getting back onto the course after an overly vigorous manoeuvre.

My particular bike had certainly seen its share of learners though with clunky 1st and 2nd gears, a very easy to find false-neutral and a few scratches. I though it was going to rattle itself to bits on the road ride though.

I wouldn't buy one personally. I found them all a bit meh but I could see how they make a good learner bike. Their upright seat keeps you from leaning on the handlebars and their low centre of gravity means less freak-outs if the bike leans one way or the other when stationary.

All in all a fun day and a semi-decent bike. Although, a waste of $400 as the licencing woes continue.

No comments: