Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cramp

My riding instructor was telling us that good riding was made up of good riding skills, good bike control and “Something else that Cariad lacks! What is that?” the room hushed as no one wanted to say anything. He waited. “Come on.” He said “What do you suffer from on the bike?” looking directly at me. I shrugged and said “Cramp?”

Apparently, the correct answer was self-control and apparently, I lack it but that’s another story.

I’ve found with my new bike I have some new pains. My morning commute sees me feel the annoying and distressing pain of cramp in my left hand from riding the clutch for 40 minutes. I settle back in the seat a bit and relax my arms but as soon as the clutch comes in, it puts pressure on my wrist which in turns leads to circulation being cut off to half my hand and fingers. Every light change I flick it into neutral (making sure traffic behind me has stopped) and rest my hand. If, by some miracle, I’m able to let the clutch entirely out then I give my hand a good shake but the feeling never lasts long as traffic stops and back in comes my clutch.

I’m not sure if there is a remedy. I certainly suffer from it on the bike though. Maybe I should email that instructor..

No comments: